Jun 05 2008
What others are saying about Bulletproof Faith: A Spiritual Survival Guide for Gay and Lesbian Christians:
- Gay and lesbian Christians are constantly demoralized and told they are not children of God. In Bulletproof Faith, Chellew-Hodge reassures gays and lesbians that God loves them just as they were created and teaches them how to stand strong, with compassion and gentleness, against those who condemn them.
-Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu
- It is an amazing truth that gay and lesbian Christians need to develop a bullet-proof faith in order to survive the attack of other Christians. That, however, is the experience of many homosexual persons. Candace Chellew-Hodge has in this book committed herself to the task of making that survival a reality. I salute her and her work.
–John Shelby Spong, Author of Jesus for the Non-Religious
- We know the Religious Right is wrong about same-sex relationships and it’s time to move on. But how to withstand their relentless attacks and find lasting peace of soul? Candace Chellew-Hodge offers a practical guide. It met me right where I am. It will touch and help heal many others, too.
-Daniel A. Helminiak, PhD, PhD, LPC,
Professor of Psychology, University of West Georgia
Author of the international best-seller What the Bible Really Says about Homosexuality, Sex and the Sacred, and other books on contemporary spirituality
- Candace Chellew-Hodge knows that you can be lesbian and Christian. This book will help every person who is both gay and Christian to have that same confidence. It will also enable heterosexual allies better understand how their gay friends feel and it may shake those who assume that gay and Christian can not go together. The Spiritual survival exercises move the reader beyond just knowledge to life more abundant.
-Jack Rogers, Professor of Theology Emeritus, San Francisco Theological Seminary and author of Jesus, the Bible and Homosexuality: Explode the Myths, Heal the Church
- Bulletproof Faith, though written for the gay and lesbian community, is a primer in developing an authentic and examined faith. Candace Chellew-Hodge suggests there is no faith more powerful than the faith of gay and lesbian Christians. In reading this book, I am convinced and humbled.
-James Mulholland, Pastor and co-author of If God is Love and If Grace is True
- Reading Candace Chellew-Hodge’s book, Bulletproof Faith, is just as enriching as meeting her in person. Candace takes the most controversial issue of our day, puts a human face on it, and calls us to love as fully and graciously as Jesus did. I commend this book to all who’ve struggled with human sexuality, which is to say, all of us.
– Philip Gulley, Quaker writer and pastor, co-author of If God is Love and If Grace is True
- In Bulletproof Faith we learn why Candace Chellew-Hodge has been such an effective advocate for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people for so many years. Her faith encourages and empowers her even as it disarms her opponents. And here’s more good news – your faith can do the same!
-Harry Knox, Director of the Human Rights Campaign Foundation‘s Religion and Faith Program
- Bulletproof Faith is a wonderful spiritual and survival guide for gay and lesbian Christians explaining the varied expressions of the sacredness of gender identities and sexualities. The book is an invitation to a spiritual journey that breaks us open to understanding the most pressing questions of our time concerning attitudes about human sexuality. And it moves us to deeply contemplate today’s situation by looking at the wondrous tapestry of God’s human family from an involved and committed stance in light of a faith that does justice.
In Chellew-Hodge combining pastoral theology with queer liberation theology, she has created a sorely needed instructive text on pastoral care for LGBTQ Christians by inviting the Church into an honest dialogue about homosexuality that at present has been choked by anti-gay vitriol and scriptural teachings about homosexuality
Chellew-Hodge shows us how the church’s misconceptions about sexuality not only contributes to the false socialization of who we are as male and female, but it also contributes to the false spiritualization of who we are as the body of Christ.
Chellew-Hodge’s book is a must read because it moves a church and its people – straight and gay – that are broken and isolated from one another to reconciliation and healing.
-Rev. Irene Monroe, African American lesbian public theologian and religion columnist
- Tough and tender, experienced and insightful, Bulletproof Faith is a manual LGBTQ people of faith will read to nourish their own faith while meeting the challenges of those so caught up in their own hurt and pain but using religion and religious arguments to stay stuck rather than face the real issues in their own lives. Rev. Chellew-Hodge walks believers through the steps that can prepare them to stop trying to win argumentswith those who object to LGBTQ people and begin to experience every encounter as a chance to personally grow. (Winning isn’t a virtue. We must sometimes “lose” to show that we really believe.) Though subtitled a “survival guide,” I’d say it’s really a guide to thriving in the midst of people who would rather see LGBTQ people anything but proud and healthy.
One Response to “Praise for …”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.